Reports to Manager of Youth Programs
Part Time: Seasonal (coinciding with the K-12 schoolyear)
Orchestra of St. Luke’s (OSL) is seeking a part-time violin and ensemble leader who will teach students, design curricula, work collaboratively across our five sites, and enact our mission of providing access for instrumental instruction in Hell’s Kitchen, a community that has few locally based instrumental youth ensembles. Through music instruction, we aim to cultivate a youth-centered ensemble as a vehicle to respond to the community’s artistic needs and interests.
ABOUT ORCHESTRA OF ST. LUKE’S:
Orchestra of St. Luke’s (OSL) presents over 70 concerts, programs, and events in a variety of diverse musical genres every season, including an annual Carnegie Hall Orchestra Series, a full Chamber Music Series, Free Community Concerts serving all five boroughs, and Free School Concerts that reach over 10,000 public schoolchildren. OSL puts classical music performances and training within reach for all New Yorkers through its innovative and accessible Education & Community programs. OSL provides rehearsal, recording, education, and performance space through The DiMenna Center for Classical Music, its home in New York City’s Hell’s Kitchen neighborhood.
Youth Orchestra of St. Luke’s (YOSL) is an after-school orchestral instrument instruction program that serves 140 elementary and middle school-aged children and their families in the Hell’s Kitchen neighborhood of New York. YOSL collaborates with five schools and community organizations to offer an inclusive program focused on youth development through lessons and performances intended to ground students in the language of music, new forms of self-expression, and lifelong problem-solving skills.
Faculty positions will be offered to applicants who demonstrate an interest in working with multiple sites to create a cohesive curriculum across our program. Programming runs from September 2021 through June 2022.
PRIMARY POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES
- Teach group violin classes at two of our partner sites, 3 afternoons a week between Monday and Thursday (approximately 2:30 PM – 5:30 PM, exact times TBC)
- Lead YOSL’s mixed ensemble (“Tutti Ensemble”) rehearsals on Friday afternoons
- Attend weekly team meetings discussing curricula, student assessment, and repertoire
- Participate in monthly professional development workshops, and provide feedback for the selection of ongoing professional development
- Develop and assist in producing community-oriented events and workshops
- Participate in long-term strategic planning and implementation of practices which build YOSL’s relationship to other aspects of the Orchestra of St. Luke’s Education initiatives
- Represent YOSL at professional and community-related events
- Depending on New York City and State Health and safety requirements, faculty may be asked to lead virtual classes on Zoom or by pre-recorded video tutorials.
WHO YOU ARE
- Professional proficiency in violin
- Minimum 2 years of teaching experience in group or class settings
- Ability to lead an ensemble of mixed instruments through conducting and coaching
- Willingness to travel within the Hell’s Kitchen neighborhood during hours of instruction
- A love for working with youth ages 7 through 12
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to collaborate with others
- Ability to work independently on lesson plans and communication
- Ability to act with discretion
- Commitment to innovative approaches to music education and performance, exploring beyond traditional practices
- Interest or expertise in incorporating composition and improvisation-based projects within an applied instrument lesson
- Commitment to personal growth, self-exploration, and cultivating a reflective practice
- Interest in sharing new practices with the field
- Passion for learning and sharing concepts that are distinctive to YOSL
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong communication skills
- A sense of humor
- Spanish or Mandarin proficiency a plus
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Rehearsals and group lessons in classroom settings in public school and after-school program campuses between West 37th Street and West 53rd Street
- Some planning must be completed prior to teaching or while in a remote location
- Occasional weekend hours required
- A cell phone and remote access to e-mail and office files are strongly recommended, as many tasks take place offsite.
- Ability to lift and move chairs, stands, instruments and other production equipment
The base hourly teaching rate for this position is $50.00. Faculty Members are compensated for planning time (in addition to this base teaching rate), as well as for participation in faculty meetings and other assistance with YOSL events.
To apply, please download the application form and submit all materials to the Manager of Youth Programs at yosl@OSLmusic.org. Please contact by email only. Subject line should read: Violin/Ensemble Leader YOSL. No telephone calls, please.
OSL values diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive work environment. We provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. For more information, please click here.