Named for the late composer Robert DeGaetano, the DeGaetano Composition Institute supports the development of emerging composers and new works for chamber orchestra.
The 2022-2023 DeGaetano Composition Institute provided a seven-month program for emerging composers to develop a new work for chamber orchestra under the guidance of Composer Mentor Anna Clyne. This season, the guiding musical theme will be works based on poetry by a living poet.
The Institute culminates in July 2023 with a week-long New York City residency packed with opportunities to network and learn from industry professionals while working closely with conductor Brad Lubman and Orchestra of St. Luke’s. The Institute closes with a concert of the composers’ new works performed by Orchestra of St. Luke’s at The DiMenna Center for Classical Music’s Cary Hall.
As part of the New York residency, participants will receive:
- Rehearsals with the celebrated musicians of Orchestra of St. Luke’s
- Professional development sessions with the staff and musicians of Orchestra of St. Luke’s
- Networking and professional advice from industry professionals
- Headshots and media assets for the composer’s promotional use
- Domestic travel and housing provided during New York City residency
- World Premiere public performance of a new work for chamber orchestra