- This event has passed.
Part of: The October Chamber Music Series
We suggest a ticket price of $40 but want to make these timeless performances accessible for all.
Tickets include access to concert recording for 7 days after it airs
Classical music lovers have come to know Beethoven’s “Eroica” Symphony not only for it’s remarkable melodies, but as a musical symbol of “victory of idealism over political power.” By withholding the dedication of this symphony to Napoleon Bonaparte, Beethoven encapsulated the cultural spirit of defiance that surrounded the fall of the French Revolution. With such a reputation comes a myriad of interpretations, each grander than the next. In an arrangement by Beethoven’s close friend and pupil Ferdinand Ries, OSL musicians are joined by guest artists Jeremy Denk and Paul Huang, and will examine the intricate music behind this monolith of the late classical era.
The Flute Quartet in D Major, K. 285, Mozart’s first attempt at composing for this instrumentation, was written for amateur Dutch flutist Ferdinand de Jean. What started as an enthusiastic commission for a young Mozart became a burdensome endeavor for the composer, and in the end Mozart was forced to accept only about half the commissioning rate for the piece. However, the resulting product remains a delight to experience! The energetic opening Allegro is followed by a beautiful, haunting Adagio movement, which is boldly interrupted in its final cadence with the final Rondo movement.
For The October Chamber Music Series 2-Concert Package, click here
The concert package is based on our suggested price of $40
Your Online Concert Experience: How it Works
- Purchase tickets and receive a confirmation email at the time of purchase
- About 24 hours before the concert, you will receive a link to the concert page on OSLmusic.org sent to the email address used to purchase the tickets.
If you have not received a link by 3pm the day of the concert, please contact the Box Office: tickets@OSLmusic.org or 212.594.6100 x2.
- At the start time of the performance, the concert will begin at the link we provided you.
- During the live performance, audience members can use the chat feature. OSL staff and orchestra musicians will be available for questions and conversation.
- An archive of the concert will be available at the same link used for the event for seven days after the live performance.
Questions? Contact our Box Office: tickets@OSLmusic.org or 212.594.6100 x2
Ludwig van Beethoven arr. Ries
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Flute Quartet in D Major, K. 285