- This event has passed.
Jackiw plays Mendelssohn
Part of: The October Chamber Music Series
We suggest a ticket price of $40 but want to make these timeless performances accessible for all.
Tickets include access to concert recording for 7 days after it airs
There is something unique about “the repertory of transcriptions that developed before recordings, when music was often encountered by musicians in such altered forms” for the first time. In an arrangement from an unknown source, Mozart’s Sinfonia Concertante for violin and viola in E-flat was transformed into the “Grande Sestetto Concertante” for string sextet. In this new instrumentation, the “entire sensibility of the work was transformed from a drama involving duo soloists playing against orchestral textures to a fabric of interacting melodic lines.”
Published posthumously, Mendelssohn’s Violin Concerto with Strings in D minor remained largely unplayed until the composer’s widow bestowed the manuscript to violinist Ferdinand David, who premiered Mendelssohn’s famous Violin Concerto in e minor. It wasn’t until 1952 that the D minor concerto finally returned to the stage at Carnegie Hall after a century of being primarily played privately, thanks to violinist Yehudi Menuhin, and to this day hearing a performance of this pearl of a piece remains a rare treat.
Your Online Concert Experience: How it Works
- Purchase tickets and receive a confirmation email at the time of purchase
- About 24 hours before the concert, you will receive a link to the concert page on OSLmusic.org sent to the email address used to purchase the tickets.
If you have not received a link by 3pm the day of the concert, please contact the Box Office: tickets@OSLmusic.org or 212.594.6100 x2.
- At the start time of the performance, the concert will begin at the link we provided you.
- During the live performance, audience members can use the chat feature. OSL staff and orchestra musicians will be available for questions and conversation.
- An archive of the concert will be available at the same link used for the event for seven days after the live performance.
Questions? Contact our Box Office: tickets@OSLmusic.org or 212.594.6100 x2
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Grande Sestetto Concertante
Violin Concerto in D minor