- This event has passed.
Sounds & Stories: Rita Dove
Part of: Sounds & Stories
Pay What You Can
Tickets include access to concert recording for 7 days after it airs
Known for her work’s lyricism and beauty as well as its sense of historical and political awareness, poet Rita Dove frequently explores art forms outside her own through her writing. Our final concert of the Sounds & Stories series pays homage to the late George Bridgetower through poetry by Rita Dove as she joins OSL to read selections from her Sonata Mulattica. Her work explores the fictional life of Bridgetower, the legendary violinist and original dedicatee of Beethoven’s Kreutzer Sonata, which will be featured on this concert, along with music by Haydn and Giornovichi.
A quote from the preface of Sonata Mulattica:
“Two centuries ago the violinist George Augustus Polgreen Bridgetower, son of a white mother and a self-styled “African prince,” rose to his fifteen minutes of fame. He might have become one of the most revered musical virtuosos of all time…had he not crossed swords with his mercurial mento, Ludwig van Beethoven. What’s known today as the Kreutzer Sonata was originally dedicated to Beethoven’s new “mulatto” friend, who premiered it in Vienna to wide acclaim, the ink barely dry on the composer’s pages. So far, go good; but oh, if only George – all but twenty-three years of age – had shown better judgment and not blatantly ogled the object of Ludwig’s affections!”
Your Online Concert Experience: How it Works
- Purchase tickets and receive a confirmation email at the time of purchase
- About 24 hours before the concert, you will receive a link to the concert page on OSLmusic.org sent to the email address used to purchase the tickets.
If you have not received a link by 3pm the day of the concert, please contact the Box Office: tickets@OSLmusic.org or 212.594.6100 x2.
- At the start time of the performance, the concert will begin at the link we provided you.
- During the live performance, audience members can use the chat feature. OSL staff and orchestra musicians will be available for questions and conversation.
- An archive of the concert will be available at the same link used for the event for seven days after the live performance.
Giovanni Mane Giornovichi
Selection from Duo
Selection from Sonata No. 60, Hob. XVI/50
Ludwig van Beethoven, arr. Anonymous
Sonata No. 9 for Piano and Violin, Op. 47
Ludwig van Beethoven
Selection from Sonata No. 10 for Piano and Violin, Op. 96