- This event has passed.
The Madness of La Folia
Part of: Baroque 2021
Pay What You Can
Tickets include access to concert recording for 7 days after it airs
Our Baroque 2021 series opens with “The Madness of La Folia,” highlighting the versatility of one of Western classical music’s most exhilarating and energizing musical themes. The La folía has inspired countless compositions for centuries and was all the rage during the Baroque era. This program pairs two of the most beloved works based on la folía—Corelli’s Violin Sonata in D minor and Vivaldi’s Trio Sonata in D minor—with C. P. E. Bach’s 12 Variations on La folía d’Espagne and lesser-known but just as invigorating pieces, including Geminiani’s Concerto Grosso in D minor.
Your Online Concert Experience: How it Works
- Purchase tickets and receive a confirmation email at the time of purchase
- About 24 hours before the concert, you will receive a link to the concert page on OSLmusic.org sent to the email address used to purchase the tickets.
If you have not received a link by 3pm the day of the concert, please contact the Box Office: tickets@OSLmusic.org or 212.594.6100 x2.
- At the start time of the performance, the concert will begin at the link we provided you.
- During the live performance, audience members can use the chat feature. OSL staff and orchestra musicians will be available for questions and conversation.
- An archive of the concert will be available at the same link used for the event for seven days after the live performance.
Violin Sonata in D minor, Op. 5, No. 12 “Follia”
Trio Sonata in D minor, Op. 1, No. 12
Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach
Variations über die Folie d’Espagne, H. 263
Concerto Grosso in D minor, H. 143 “La Follia”